Friday, January 18, 2013

It's Friday! Have You Turned Into A Book Yet? [3]

I just started this meme thing and I'm already slacking. *sigh*

XXX

"It's Friday! Have You Turned Into A Book Yet?" is inspired by the #fridayreads Twitter meme, Book Journey's "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?", Should Be Reading's "WWW Wednesdays", Tynga's Reviews "Stacking the Shelves" and the various other book haul memes, and probably a few others I can't remember right now.

All covers/book title links lead to Goodreads.



I'm not liking it as much as the first book, Crash (see Past Reads), but I AM liking it. I love that it's the second book in a contemp romance series that focuses on the same characters throughout.


I put this on hold when Crash came in the mail. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but I like it already!


I got a review copy of The Goddess Inheritance from the author last week, so I figured it was time to start the Goddess short story collection.


I'm really excited to start this, it sounds so good! And the movie comes out in less than a month, so I need to get reading.


I'm always looking for. . .darker, I guess you could say, contemp romances, so when Crash got traditionally pubbed I ordered it right away. And I'm happy I did. While I did have a few small issues with the story, overall I loved it!


This was a bowlful of awesome. Again, while there were a few small issues I had, overall I LOVED it!
(Books/Stuff that came in the mail.)

Nothing came in the mail this week. :(

(Books I bought.)
Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Prepare yourselves, this week brought a bucket and a half of book news. And I put it under a cut, because WOW this section made the post long.

IceyBooks revealed the cover for Kasie West's second novel of 2013 (the first being Pivot Point), The Distance Between Us. The book releases July 2nd from HarperTeen, and here's the gorgeous cover and synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

Wednesday author Jessica Spotswood put out a call on Twitter, asking someone to design her a countdown widget for her next book, Star Cursed (#2 in the amazing Cahill Witch Chronicles). Well, I decided to join the fun, and she ended up picking my simple design to be the official widget. Here is her post about it, and below is the widget and grab code (which you can also find on my sidebar).

USA Today's Happy Ever After blog revealed the trailer to Kiersten White's upcoming Mind Games, as well as an excerpt from the book yesterday. Mind Games comes out Feb. 19th from HarperTeen, and sounds awesome. Check out the trailer below, it's as awesome as the book sounds.


Happy Ever After also revealed the trailer to Gates of Paradise by Melissa de la Cruz. Gates came out Tuesday, and is the last book in the ridiculously amazing Blue Bloods series, so HEA also had a guest post from Melissa on what it's like to have a series end (see the HEA link above). The trailer makes me extra anxious to read the book, but I'm waiting to get a signed copy in New York, so *sadface* (for now). Anyway, check out the trailer below, but beware there a very (very) slight spoilers (depending on how you look at it), so view at your own risk. (For those who choose not to spoil, here's book 1's trailer.)


Epic Reads unveiled a video Wednesday in which Tahereh Mafi, author of Shatter Me & Unravel Me, demonstrates how to properly eat a pomegranate and gives away a spoiler from Chapter 62 of Unravel Me. The book comes out Feb. 5 from HarperTeen, and I'm SUPER EXCITED FOR IT! The video is below, and, as I said, it has a spoiler in it, so view at your own risk.


Epic Reads also premiered the trailer for Cynthia Hand's final Unearthly novel, Boundless. Now I haven't read the series yet, so my commentary is pretty nonexistent. The book comes out next week, on the 22nd, and I know fans are excited. I assume, because it's for the third book, that it's a spoilery trailer, so view at your own risk. Check it below.


EW's Shelf Life revealed the cover for The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, along with some details about the book. Shelf Life's post includes the synopsis, which is spoilery, so Michelle recapped all the non-spoilery details here. Below is the GORGEOUS cover (but no synopsis, because, as I said, it's spoilery. Click the Shelf Life link if you want to see it.), as well as all the covers in the series side by side.
The one thing I don't like is the blurb, I think it takes away from the cover. Anyway, here's the series:

Tuesday, Shelf Life also premiered the video of Beth Revis' Across the Universe GOING INTO SPACE. Penguin challenged readers to pre-order the final book in the Across the Universe series, Shades of Earth, more times than the first 2 books combined. And we did, so they sent AtU into space. Check out the video, below.


Next up (only a few more things left, I promise) is the cover for Jennifer Echols new novel, Dirty Little Secret. I think this was actually revealed last week, on Jennifer's website, but she doesn't have a date on the little news blip, so I'm showing it here, because I found it on Goodreads a couple days ago. It releases July 16 from MTV Books (Simon & Schuster). Here's the pretty cover, and synopsis:

From the author of the “real page-turner” (SeventeenSuch a Rush comes an unforgettable new drama that follows friends-turned-lovers as they navigate the passions, heartbreaks, and intrigue of country music fame.

Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away.

Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again…

Yesterday, the Katherine Tegan Facebook page posted some cover shoot behind-the-scenes pics for the Newsoul trilogy by Jodi Meadows to celebrate the upcoming release of Asunder (Jan. 29th).

The cover for The Shattered Mountain by Rae Carson, an upcoming (out Mar. 26th) short story set in the Girl of Fire and Thorns world, just popped up on Amazon today, so here it is, along with the synopsis:

On the outskirts of Joya d'Arena, small villages fight for survival against the onslaught of sorcerers and raiders. Mara's village has been safe—so far—but Mara decides to escape anyway. Escape from her harsh, abusive father. Escape with her first love. But when their plans fall on the same day that the animagi burn the village to the ground, Mara faces losses that could destroy her. She's a survivor, though. She is going to make it through the mountains, and she is going to protect the refugees following her. Because there's a rumored safe haven . . . and some say they have found the Chosen One. 

Told from Mara's point-of-view, The Shattered Mountain is an alternate perspective of the beginning of the acclaimed The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

And in personal book news, I was FINALLY able to get more bookshelves, and spent Monday night & most of Tuesday putting them together, then organizing my books.
BEFORE 

AFTER 

Everything's just so neat now, I still can't get over it!


Alright, I'm FINALLY done! And oh my gosh this post is looooong, so long it took me close to 4 hours to finish (no joke, no exaggeration. I worked from 10pm to 2am on it).
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment